(a) The Agency must comply with the requirements of NEPA for all Federal actions within the:
(1) United States borders and any other commonwealth, territory or possession of the United States such as Guam, American Samoa, U.S. Virgin Islands, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico; and
(2) Republic of the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia and the Republic of Palau, subject to applicable Compacts of Free Association.
(1) Providing financial assistance;
(2) Certain post-financial assistance actions with the potential to have an effect on the environment, including:
(i) The sale or lease of Agency-owned real property;
(ii) Lien subordination; and
(iii) Approval of a substantial change in the scope of a project receiving financial assistance not previously considered.
(3) Promulgation of procedures or regulations for new or significantly revised programs; and
(4) Legislative proposals (see 40 CFR 1506.8).
(c) For environmental review purposes, the Agency has identified and established categories of proposed actions (§§ 1970.53 through 1970.55, 1970.101, and 1970.151). An applicant may propose to participate with other parties in the ownership of a project. In such a case, the Agency will determine whether the applicant participants have sufficient control and responsibility to alter the development of the proposed project prior to determining its classification. Only if there is such control and responsibility as described below will the Agency consider its action with regard to the project to be a Federal action for purposes of this part. Where the applicant proposes to participate with other parties in the ownership of a proposed project and all applicants cumulatively own:
(1) Five percent (5%) or less, the project is not considered a Federal action subject to this part;
(2) Thirty-three and one-third percent (331/3%) or more, the project shall be considered a Federal action subject to this part;
(3) More than five percent (5%) but less than thirty-three and one-third percent (331/3%), the Agency will determine whether the applicant participants have sufficient control and responsibility to alter the development of the proposal such that the Agency's action will be considered a Federal action subject to this part. In making this determination, the Agency will consider such factors as:
(i) Whether construction would be completed regardless of the Agency's financial assistance or approval;
(ii) The stage of planning and construction;
(iii) Total participation of the applicant;
(iv) Participation percentage of each participant; and
(v) Managerial arrangements and contractual provisions.
(d) Lien sharing is not an action for the purposes of this part.
(e) Servicing actions are directly related to financial assistance already provided, do not require separate NEPA review, and are not actions for the purposes of this part.