(a) If a motor carrier employs a person as a multiple-employer driver (as defined in § 390.5 of this subchapter), the motor carrier shall comply with all requirements of this part, except that the motor carrier need not -
(1) Require the person to furnish an application for employment in accordance with § 391.21;
(2) Make the investigations and inquiries specified in § 391.23 with respect to that person;
(3) Perform the annual driving record inquiry required by § 391.25(a);
(4) Perform the annual review of the person's driving record required by § 391.25(b); or
(5) Require the person to furnish a record of violations or a certificate in accordance with § 391.27.
(b) Before a motor carrier permits a multiple-employer driver to drive a commercial motor vehicle, the motor carrier must obtain his/her name, his/her social security number, and the identification number, type and issuing State of his/her commercial motor vehicle operator's license. The motor carrier must maintain this information for three years after employment of the multiple-employer driver ceases.