(a) This subpart establishes a registration procedure for persons who are engaged in the manufacture, assembly, inspection and testing, certification, or repair of a cargo tank or a cargo tank motor vehicle manufactured in accordance with a DOT specification under subchapter C of this chapter or under terms of a special permit issued under this part.
(b) Persons engaged in continuing qualification and maintenance of cargo tanks and cargo tank motor vehicles must be familiar with the requirements set forth in part 180, subpart E, of this chapter.
[Amdt. 107-20, 55 FR 37047, Sept. 7, 1990]
(a) Definitions: For purposes of this subpart -
(1) Assembly means the performance of any of the following functions when the function does not involve welding on the cargo tank wall:
(i) The mounting of one or more tanks or cargo tanks on a motor vehicle or to a motor vehicle suspension component;
(ii) The installation of equipment or components necessary to meet the specification requirements prior to the certification of the cargo tank motor vehicle; or
(iii) The installation of linings, coatings, or other materials to the inside of a cargo tank wall.
(2) The terms Authorized Inspector, Cargo tank, Cargo tank motor vehicle, Design Certifying Engineer, Registered Inspector, and Person are defined in § 171.8 of this chapter.
(b) No person may engage in the manufacture, assembly, certification, inspection or repair of a cargo tank or cargo tank motor vehicle manufactured under the terms of a DOT specification under subchapter C of this chapter or a special permit issued under this part unless the person is registered with the Department in accordance with the provisions of this subpart. A person employed as an inspector or design certifying engineer is considered to be registered if the person's employer is registered. The requirements of this paragraph (b) do not apply to a person engaged in the repair of a DOT specification cargo tank used in the transportation of hazardous materials in the United States in accordance with § 180.413(a)(1)(iii) of this chapter.
(c) A person who performs functions which are subject to the provisions of this subpart may perform only those functions which have been identified to the Department in accordance with the procedures of this subpart.
(d) Registration statements must be in English, contain all of the information required by this subpart, and be submitted to: FMCSA Hazardous Materials Division - MC-ECH, West Building, MC-ECH, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE., Washington, DC 20590.
(e) Upon determination that a registration statement contains all the information required by this subpart, the Department will send the registrant a letter confirming receipt of the registration application and assigning a registration number to that person. A separate registration number will be assigned for each cargo tank manufacturing, assembly, repair facility or other place of business identified by the registrant.
[Amdt. 107-20, 54 FR 25003, June 12, 1989; 55 FR 37047, Sept. 7, 1990, as amended by Amdt. 107-22, 55 FR 39978, Oct. 1, 1990; Amdt. 107-23, 56 FR 66157, Dec. 20, 1991; Amdt. 107-28, 58 FR 46873, Sept. 3, 1993; Amdt. 107-39, 61 FR 51337, Oct. 1, 1996; 67 FR 61011, Sept. 27, 2002; 68 FR 19273, Apr. 18, 2003; 72 FR 55683, Oct. 1, 2007; 82 FR 15832, Mar. 30, 2017]
(a) Each registration statement must be in English and contain the following information:
(2) Street address, mailing address and telephone number for each facility or place of business;
(3) A statement indicating whether the facility uses mobile testing/inspection equipment to perform inspections, tests, or repairs at a location other than the address listed in paragraph (a)(2) of this section.
(4) A statement signed by the person responsible for compliance with the applicable requirements of this chapter, certifying knowledge of those requirements and that each employee who is a Registered Inspector or Design Certifying Engineer meets the minimum qualification requirements set forth in § 171.8 of this chapter for “Registered Inspector” or “Design Certifying Engineer”. The following language may be used.
I certify that all Registered Inspectors and Design Certifying Engineers used in performance of the prescribed functions meet the minimum qualification requirements set forth in 49 CFR 171.8, that I am the person responsible for ensuring compliance with the applicable requirements of this chapter, and that I have knowledge of the requirements applicable to the functions to be performed.
(5) A description of the specific functions to be performed on cargo tanks or cargo tank motor vehicles, e.g.:
(iii) Inspection and testing (specify type, e.g., external or internal visual inspection, lining inspection, hydrostatic pressure test, leakage test, thickness test),
(v) Repair, or
(vi) Equipment manufacture;
(6) An identification of the types of DOT specification and special permit cargo tanks or cargo tank motor vehicles which the registrant intends to manufacture, assemble, repair, inspect, test or certify;
(7) A statement indicating whether the registrant employs Registered Inspectors or Design Certifying Engineers to conduct certification, inspection or testing functions addressed by this subpart. If the registrant engages a person who is not an employee of the registrant to perform these functions, provide the name, address and registration number of that person; and
(8) If the registrant is not a resident of the United States, the name and address of a permanent resident of the United States designated in accordance with § 105.40 to serve as agent for service of process.
(b) In addition to the information required under paragraph (a) of this section, each person who manufactures a cargo tank or cargo tank motor vehicle must submit a copy of the manufacturer's current ASME Certificate of Authorization for the use of the ASME “U” stamp.
(c) In addition to the information required under paragraph (a) of this section, each person who repairs a cargo tank or cargo tank motor vehicle must submit a copy of the repair facility's current National Board Certificate of Authorization for the use of the “R” stamp or ASME Certificate of Authorization for the use of the ASME “U” stamp. Any person who repairs MC-series cargo tanks which are not certified to the ASME Code must submit a copy of the National Board or ASME Certificate of Authorization to PHMSA before June 30, 1992.
[Amdt. 107-20, 54 FR 25003, June 12, 1989; 55 FR 37047, Sept. 7, 1990; 57 FR 365, Jan. 6, 1992; Amdt. 107-32, 59 FR 49131, Sept. 26, 1994; Amdt. 107-39, 61 FR 51337, Oct. 1, 1996; 63 FR 52846, Oct. 1, 1998; 68 FR 19273, Apr. 18, 2003]
(a) Registration will be for a maximum of six years from the date of the original registration.
(b) Any correspondence with the Department must contain the registrant's name and registration number.
(c) A registration must be renewed every six years or within thirty days of reissuance of an ASME or National Board Certification, whichever occurs first, by submitting an up-to-date registration statement containing the information prescribed by § 107.503. Any person initially registered under the provisions of § 107.502 and who is in good standing is eligible for renewal.
(d) A registrant shall provide written notification to the Department within thirty days of any of the following occurrences:
(1) Any change in the registration information submitted under § 107.503;
(2) Replacement of the person responsible for compliance with the requirements in § 107.503(a)(4). If this occurs, the registrant shall resubmit the required certification;
(3) Loss of ASME or National Board Certificate of Authorization; or
(4) A change in function; such as, from assembly to manufacture, an addition of a function, or a change to the types of inspections, tests or certifications of cargo tanks or cargo tank motor vehicles.
(e) Each registrant shall maintain a current copy of the registration information submitted to the Department and a current copy of the registration number identification received from the Department at the location identified in § 107.503(a)(2) during such time the person is registered with the Department and for two years thereafter.
(f) The issuance of a registration number under this subpart is not an approval or endorsement by the Department of the qualifications of any person to perform the specified functions.