(1) Identical to the original equipment; or
(2) Allowed as an alternative under § 153.10.
(c) The following conditions apply when discharge recording equipment required under § 153.481(b)(2) fails:
(1) No NLS residue may be discharged unless the approved Procedures and Arrangements Manual contains procedures for discharging with incapacitated discharge recording equipment while meeting the discharge restrictions of § 153.1126(b) and these procedures are followed.
(2) The failure of the discharge recording equipment must be recorded in the Cargo Record Book within 24 hours after the failure.
(3) If the ship operates under a Certificate of Inspection, the failed discharge recording equipment must be repaired or replaced within 60 days after it fails, and the repair or replacement recorded in the Cargo Record Book and reported to the Coast Guard within 24 hours after it is completed.