(a) To qualify for an STCW endorsement as second engineer officer, an applicant must -
(1) Provide evidence of not less than 12 months of service as OICEW on vessels powered by main propulsion machinery of 750kW/1,000 HP or more; or 12 months of sea service as a chief engineer on vessels powered by propulsion machinery of vessels between 750kW/1,000 HP and 3,000 kW/4,000 HP;
(2) Provide evidence of meeting the standard of competence specified in Section A-III/2 of the STCW Code (incorporated by reference, see § 11.102 of this part); and
(3) Provide evidence of having satisfactorily completed approved training in the following areas:
(i) Engineroom resource management (ERM) if not completed at the operational level.
(ii) Leadership and managerial skills.
(iii) Management of electrical and electronic control equipment.
(b) For a renewal of an STCW endorsement as second engineer officer on vessels powered by main propulsion machinery of 3,000 kW/4,000 HP propulsion power or more to be valid on or after January 1, 2017, each candidate must provide evidence of successful completion of approved training in the following:
(1) ERM if not completed at the operational level.
(2) Leadership and managerial skills.
(3) Management of electrical and electronic control equipment.
(c) The Coast Guard may exempt an applicant from meeting any individual knowledge, understanding, and proficiency required in Section A-III/2 of the STCW Code. These exemptions must be approved by the Coast Guard based upon vessel type. Under these circumstances, the credential may include a corresponding limitation.
(d) Seafarers with one of the following national officer endorsements are eligible to apply for this endorsement upon completion of the requirements in the following table:
Table 1 to § 11.327(d) - STCW Endorsement as Second Engineer Officer on Vessels Powered by Main Propulsion Machinery of 3,000 kW/4,000 HP Propulsion Power or More
|Entry path from national endorsements||Sea service1||Competence - STCW Table A-III/22||Training required
by this section3
|First assistant engineer||None||Yes||Yes.|
|Second assistant engineer||None||Yes||Yes.|
|Third assistant engineer||12 months||Yes||Yes.|
|Assistant engineer (limited)||12 months||Yes||Yes.|
|Chief engineer MODU||12 months||Yes||Yes.|
|Chief engineer OSV||None||Yes||Yes.|
|Designated duty engineer, unlimited4||12 months as DDE||Yes||Yes.|