(a) To qualify for an STCW endorsement as OICNW, an applicant must -
(1) Provide evidence of seagoing service as follows:
(i) Provide evidence of 36 months of service in the deck department on vessels operating in oceans, near-coastal waters, and/or Great Lakes. Service on inland waters, bays, or sounds that are navigable waters of the United States may be substituted for up to 50 percent of the required service. Experience gained in the engine department may be creditable for up to 3 months of the service requirements; or
(ii) Provide evidence of not less than 12 months of seagoing service as part of an approved training program that includes onboard training that meets the requirements of Section A-II/1 of the STCW Code (incorporated by reference, see § 11.102 of this part).
(2) Provide evidence of having performed during the required seagoing service, bridge watchkeeping duties, under the supervision of an officer holding the STCW endorsement as master, chief mate, or OICNW, for a period of not less than 6 months. The Coast Guard will accept service on vessels as boatswain, able seaman, or quartermaster while holding the appropriate deck watchkeeping rating endorsement, which may be accepted on a two-for-one basis to a maximum allowable substitution of 3 months (6 months of experience equals 3 months of creditable service);
(3) Provide evidence of meeting the standard of competence specified in Section A-II/1 of the STCW Code; and
(4) Provide evidence of having satisfactorily completed approved training in the following subject areas:
(i) Medical first-aid provider.
(ii) Radar observer, if serving on a vessel with this equipment.
(iii) Watchkeeping, including COLREGS and IMO standard marine communication phrases (SMCP).
(iv) Basic and advanced firefighting in accordance with § 11.303 of this subpart.
(v) Proficiency in survival craft and rescue boats other than fast rescue boats (PSC) or proficiency in survival craft and rescue boats other than lifeboats and fast rescue boats (PSC-limited).
(vi) Visual signaling.
(vii) Bridge resource management;
(viii) ARPA, if serving on a vessel with this equipment.
(ix) GMDSS, if serving on a vessel with this equipment.
(x) ECDIS, if serving on a vessel with this equipment.
(b) For a renewal of an STCW endorsement as OICNW of vessels of less than 500 GT to be valid on or after January 1, 2017, each candidate must provide the following:
(1) Evidence of meeting the standard of competence in leadership and teamworking skills.
(2) Completion of approved training in ECDIS, if serving on a vessel with this equipment.
(c) The Coast Guard may exempt an applicant from meeting any individual knowledge, understanding, and proficiency required in Section A-II/1 of the STCW Code. These exemptions must be approved by the Coast Guard based upon vessel type. Under these circumstances, the credential may include a corresponding limitation.
(d) Seafarers with one of the following national officer endorsements are eligible to apply for this endorsement upon completion of the requirements in the following table:
Table 1 to § 11.319(d) - STCW Endorsement as Officer in Charge of a Navigational Watch (OICNW) of Vessels of Less Than 500 GT.
|Entry path from national endorsements||Sea service under authority of the endorsement1||Competence - STCW
|Training required by this
|Mate oceans or near-coastal, less than 500 GRT||None||Yes||Yes.|
|Mate towing vessel oceans or near-coastal||None||Yes||Yes.|
|Master oceans or near-coastal, less than 200 GRT||6 months||Yes||Yes.|
|Mate oceans or near-coastal, less than 200 GRT||12 months||Yes||Yes.|