(a) To qualify for an STCW endorsement as master, an applicant must -
(1) Provide evidence of 12 months of service as OICNW, on vessels operating in oceans, near-coastal waters, and/or Great Lakes. Service on inland waters, bays, or sounds that are navigable waters of the United States may be substituted for up to 50 percent of the total required service. Experience gained in the engine department on vessels may be creditable for up to 1 month of the service requirements;
(2) Provide evidence of meeting the standard of competence specified in Section A-II/3 of the STCW Code (incorporated by reference, see § 11.102 of this part); and
(3) Provide evidence of having satisfactorily completed approved training in the following subject areas:
(i) Medical first-aid provider.
(ii) Basic and advanced firefighting in accordance with § 11.303 of this subpart.
(iii) Proficiency in survival craft and rescue boats other than fast rescue boats (PSC) or proficiency in survival craft and rescue boats other than lifeboats and fast rescue boats (PSC-limited).
(iv) Leadership and managerial skills.
(v) ECDIS, if serving on a vessel with this equipment.
(vi) Radar observer, if serving on a vessel with this equipment.
(vii) ARPA, if serving on a vessel with this equipment.
(b) For a renewal of an STCW endorsement as master of vessels of less than 500 GT limited to near-coastal waters to be valid on or after January 1, 2017, each candidate must provide evidence of successful completion of approved training in the following:
(1) Leadership and managerial skills.
(2) ECDIS, if serving on a vessel with this equipment.
(c) The Coast Guard may exempt an applicant from meeting any individual knowledge, understanding, and proficiency required in Section A-II/3 of the STCW Code. These exemptions must be approved by the Coast Guard based upon vessel type. Under these circumstances, the credential may include a corresponding limitation.
(d) Seafarers with one of the following national officer endorsements are eligible to apply for this endorsement upon completion of the requirements in the following table:
Table 1 to § 11.317(d) - STCW Endorsement as Master of Vessels of Less Than 500 GT Limited to Near-Coastal Waters
|Entry path from national endorsements||Sea service under
authority of the endorsement1
|Competence - STCW
|Training required by this
|Mate oceans or near-coastal, less than 500 GRT||None||Yes||Yes.|
|Mate towing vessel oceans or near-coastal||None||Yes||Yes.|
|Master oceans or near-coastal, less than 200 GRT||6 months||Yes||Yes.|
|Mate oceans or near-coastal, less than 200 GRT||12 months||Yes||Yes.|