(a) Regional Exchange. A State may participate in a regional Exchange if:
(1) The Exchange spans two or more States, regardless of whether the States are contiguous; and
(2) The regional Exchange submits a single Exchange Blueprint and is approved to operate consistent with § 155.105(c).
(b) Subsidiary Exchange. A State may establish one or more subsidiary Exchanges within the State if:
(1) Each such Exchange serves a geographically distinct area; and
(2) The area served by each subsidiary Exchange is at least as large as a rating area described in section 2701(a) of the PHS Act.
(c) Exchange standards. Each regional or subsidiary Exchange must:
(1) Otherwise meet the requirements of an Exchange consistent with this part; and
(2) Meet the following standards for SHOP:
(i) Perform the functions of a SHOP for its service area in accordance with subpart H of this part; and
(ii) Encompass the same geographic area for its regional or subsidiary SHOP and its regional or subsidiary Exchange except:
(A) In the case of a regional Exchange established pursuant to § 155.100(a)(2), the regional SHOP must encompass a geographic area that matches the combined geographic areas of the individual market Exchanges established to serve the same set of States establishing the regional SHOP; and
(B) In the case of a subsidiary Exchange established pursuant to § 155.100(a)(2), the combined geographic area of all subsidiary SHOPs established in the State must encompass the geographic area of the individual market Exchange established to serve the State.