(a) Application. CMS may require the staff of an HHA to attend in-service training program(s) if CMS determines that -
(1) The HHA has deficiencies that indicate noncompliance;
(2) Education is likely to correct the deficiencies; and
(3) The programs are conducted by established centers of health education and training or consultants with background in education and training with Medicare Home Health Providers, or as deemed acceptable by CMS and/or the State (by review of a copy of curriculum vitas and/or resumes/references to determine the educator's qualifications).
(b) Procedures -
(1) Action following training. After the HHA staff has received in-service training, if the HHA has not achieved compliance, CMS may impose one or more other sanctions specified in § 488.820.
(2) Payment. The HHA pays for the directed in-service training for its staff.