(a) Application. CMS may impose a directed plan of correction when an HHA:
(1) Has one or more deficiencies that warrant directing the HHA to take specific actions; or
(2) Fails to submit an acceptable plan of correction.
(1) Before imposing this sanction, CMS provides the HHA notice of the impending sanction.
(2) CMS or the temporary manager (with CMS approval) may direct the HHA to take corrective action to achieve specific outcomes within specific timeframes.
(c) Duration and effect of sanction. If the HHA fails to achieve compliance with the conditions of participation within the timeframes specified in the directed plan of correction, CMS:
(1) May impose one or more other sanctions set forth in § 488.820; or
(2) Terminates the provider agreement.