The hospital must meet the emergency needs of patients in accordance with acceptable standards of practice.
(a) Standard: Organization and direction. If emergency services are provided at the hospital -
(1) The services must be organized under the direction of a qualified member of the medical staff;
(2) The services must be integrated with other departments of the hospital;
(3) The policies and procedures governing medical care provided in the emergency service or department are established by and are a continuing responsibility of the medical staff.
(b) Standard: Personnel.
(1) The emergency services must be supervised by a qualified member of the medical staff.
(2) There must be adequate medical and nursing personnel qualified in emergency care to meet the written emergency procedures and needs anticipated by the facility.