(a) Professional service. The Medicare payment amount for telehealth services described under § 410.78 of this chapter is equal to the current fee schedule amount applicable for the service of the physician or practitioner, subject to paragraphs (a)(1) and (2) of this section, but must be made in accordance with the following limitations:
(1) Only the physician or practitioner at the distant site may bill and receive payment for the professional service via an interactive telecommunications system.
(2) Payments made to the physician or practitioner at the distant site, including deductible and coinsurance, for the professional service may not be shared with the referring practitioner or telepresenter.
(b) Originating site facility fee. For telehealth services furnished on or after October 1, 2001:
(1) For services furnished on or after October 1, 2001 through December 31, 2002, the payment amount to the originating site is the lesser of the actual charge or the originating site facility fee of $20. For services furnished on or after January 1 of each subsequent year, the facility fee for the originating site will be updated by the Medicare Economic Index (MEI) as defined in section 1842(i)(3) of the Act.
(2) Only the originating site may bill for the originating site facility fee and only on an assignment-related basis. The distant site physician or practitioner may not bill for or receive payment for facility fees associated with the professional service furnished via an interactive telecommunications system.
(c) Deductible and coinsurance apply. The payment for the professional service and originating site facility fee is subject to the coinsurance and deductible requirements of sections 1833(a)(1) and (b) of the Act.
(d) Assignment required for physicians, practitioners, and originating sites. Payment to physicians, practitioners, and originating sites is made only on an assignment-related basis.
(e) Sanctions. A distant site practitioner or originating site facility may be subject to the applicable sanctions provided for in chapter IV, part 402 and chapter V, parts 1001, 1002, and 1003 of this title if he or she does any of the following:
(1) Knowingly and willfully bills or collects for services in violation of the limitation of this section.
(2) Fails to timely correct excess charges by reducing the actual charge billed for the service in an amount that does not exceed the limiting charge for the service or fails to timely refund excess collections.
(3) Fails to submit a claim on a standard form for services provided for which payment is made on a fee schedule basis.
(4) Imposes a charge for completing and submitting the standard claims form.
[66 FR 55332, Nov. 1, 2001, as amended at 67 FR 80041, Dec. 31, 2003; 69 FR 66424, Nov. 15, 2004; 70 FR 70332, Nov. 21, 2005; 72 FR 66401, Nov. 27, 2007; 73 FR 69936, Nov. 19, 2008; 74 FR 62006, Nov. 25, 2009; 75 FR 73617, Nov. 29, 2010; 76 FR 73471, Nov. 28, 2011; 77 FR 69363, Nov. 16, 2012; 78 FR 74812, Dec. 10, 2013; 83 FR 60074, Nov. 23, 2018]