The prospective payment system includes payment for inpatient operating costs of preadmission services that are -
(a) Otherwise payable under Medicare Part B;
(b) Furnished to a beneficiary on the date of the beneficiary's inpatient admission, and during the calendar day immediately preceding the date of the beneficiary's inpatient admission, to the long-term care hospital, or to an entity wholly owned or wholly operated by the long-term care hospital; and
(1) An entity is wholly owned by the long-term care hospital if the long-term care hospital is the sole owner of the entity.
(2) An entity is wholly operated by a long-term care hospital if the long-term care hospital has exclusive responsibility for conducting and overseeing the entity's routine operations, regardless of whether the long-term care hospital also has policymaking authority over the entity.
(c) Related to the inpatient stay. A preadmission service is related if -
(1) It is diagnostic (including clinical diagnostic laboratory tests); or
(2) It is nondiagnostic when furnished on the date of the beneficiary's inpatient admission; or
(3) On or after June 25, 2010, it is nondiagnostic when furnished on the calendar day preceding the date of the beneficiary's inpatient admission and the hospital does not attest that such service is unrelated to the beneficiary's inpatient admission.
(d) Not one of the following -
(1) Ambulance services.
(2) Maintenance renal dialysis services.
[75 FR 50416, Aug. 16, 2010]