As used in this part -
Community mental health center (CMHC) means an entity that -
(1) Provides outpatient services, including specialized outpatient services for children, the elderly, individuals who are chronically mentally ill, and residents of its mental health service area who have been discharged from inpatient treatment at a mental health facility;
(2) Provides 24-hour-a-day emergency care services;
(3) Provides day treatment or other partial hospitalization services, or psychosocial rehabilitation services;
(4) Provides screening for patients being considered for admission to State mental health facilities to determine the appropriateness of this admission;
(5) Meets applicable licensing or certification requirements for CMHCs in the State in which it is located; and
(6) Provides at least 40 percent of its services to individuals who are not eligible for benefits under title XVIII of the Social Security Act.
Encounter means a direct personal contact between a patient and a physician, or other person who is authorized by State licensure law and, if applicable, by hospital or CAH staff bylaws, to order or furnish hospital services for diagnosis or treatment of the patient.
Nominal charge provider means a provider that furnishes services free of charge or at a nominal charge, and is either a public provider or another provider that
(1) demonstrates to CMS's satisfaction that a significant portion of its patients are low-income; and
(2) requests that payment for its services be determined accordingly.
Outpatient means a person who has not been admitted as an inpatient but who is registered on the hospital or CAH records as an outpatient and receives services (rather than supplies alone) directly from the hospital or CAH.
Partial hospitalization services means a distinct and organized intensive ambulatory treatment program that offers less than 24-hour daily care other than in an individual's home or in an inpatient or residential setting and furnishes the services as described in § 410.43.
Participating refers to a hospital, CAH, SNF, HHA, CORF, or hospice that has in effect an agreement to participate in Medicare; or a clinic, rehabilitation agency, or public health agency that has a provider agreement to participate in Medicare but only for purposes of providing outpatient physical therapy, occupational therapy, or speech pathology services; or a CMHC that has in effect a similar agreement but only for purposes of providing partial hospitalization services, and nonparticipating refers to a hospital, CAH, SNF, HHA, CORF, hospice, clinic, rehabilitation agency, public health agency, or CMHC that does not have in effect a provider agreement to participate in Medicare.
Preventive services means all of the following:
(1) The specific services listed in section 1861(ww)(2) of the Act, with the explicit exclusion of electrocardiograms;
(2) The Initial Preventive Physical Examination (IPPE) (as specified by section 1861(ww)(1) of the Act); and
(3) Annual Wellness Visit (AWV), providing Personalized Prevention Plan Services (PPPS) (as specified by section 1861(hhh)(1) of the Act).