(a) Included services. Subject to the conditions and limitations set forth in this subpart and subpart D of this part, “posthospital SNF care” means the following services furnished to an inpatient of a participating SNF, or of a participating hospital or critical access hospital (CAH) that has a swing-bed approval:
(1) Nursing care provided by or under the supervision of a registered professional nurse.
(2) Bed and board in connection with the furnishing of that nursing care.
(3) Physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech-language pathology services.
(4) Medical social services.
(5) Drugs, biologicals, supplies, appliances, and equipment.
(6) Services furnished by a hospital with which the SNF has a transfer agreement in effect under § 483.70(j) of this chapter.
(7) Other services that are generally provided by (or under arrangements made by) SNFs.
(b) Excluded services -
(1) Services that are not considered inpatient hospital services. No service is included as posthospital SNF care if it would not be included as an inpatient hospital service under §§ 409.11 through 409.18.
(2) Services not generally provided by (or under arrangements made by) SNFs. Except as specifically listed in §§ 409.21 through 409.27, only those services generally provided by (or under arrangements made by) SNFs are considered as posthospital SNF care. For example, a type of medical or surgical procedure that is ordinarily performed only on an inpatient basis in a hospital is not included as “posthospital SNF care,” because such procedures are not generally provided by (or under arrangements made by) SNFs.
(1) The terms SNF and swing-bed hospital are used when the context applies to the particular facility.
(2) The term facility is used to mean both SNFs and swing-bed hospitals.
(3) The term swing-bed hospital includes a CAH with swing-bed approval under subpart F of part 485 of this chapter.
[48 FR 12541, Mar. 25, 1983, as amended at 50 FR 33033, Aug. 16, 1985; 58 FR 30667, May 26, 1993; 63 FR 26306, May 12, 1998; 64 FR 3648, Jan. 25, 1999; 64 FR 41681, July 30, 1999; 68 FR 46070, Aug. 4, 2003; 68 FR 50854, Aug. 22, 2003; 69 FR 35529, June 25, 2004; 75 FR 73613, Nov. 29, 2010; 82 FR 32258, July 13, 2017]