(a) Owners and operators who are subject to the requirement to obtain a post-closure permit under 40 CFR 270.1(c), but who obtain enforceable documents in lieu of post-closure permits, as provided under 40 CFR 270.1(c)(7), must comply with the following requirements:
(1) The requirements to submit information about the facility in 40 CFR 270.28;
(2) The requirements for facility-wide corrective action in § 264.101 of this chapter;
(1) The Regional Administrator, in issuing enforceable documents under § 265.121 in lieu of permits, will assure a meaningful opportunity for public involvement which, at a minimum, includes public notice and opportunity for public comment:
(i) When the Agency becomes involved in a remediation at the facility as a regulatory or enforcement matter;
(ii) On the proposed preferred remedy and the assumptions upon which the remedy is based, in particular those related to land use and site characterization; and
(iii) At the time of a proposed decision that remedial action is complete at the facility. These requirements must be met before the Regional Administrator may consider that the facility has met the requirements of 40 CFR 270.1(c)(7), unless the facility qualifies for a modification to these public involvement procedures under paragraph (b)(2) or (3) of this section.
(2) If the Regional Administrator determines that even a short delay in the implementation of a remedy would adversely affect human health or the environment, the Regional Administrator may delay compliance with the requirements of paragraph (b)(1) of this section and implement the remedy immediately. However, the Regional Administrator must assure involvement of the public at the earliest opportunity, and, in all cases, upon making the decision that additional remedial action is not needed at the facility.
(3) The Regional Administrator may allow a remediation initiated prior to October 22, 1998 to substitute for corrective action required under a post-closure permit even if the public involvement requirements of paragraph (b)(1) of this section have not been met so long as the Regional Administrator assures that notice and comment on the decision that no further remediation is necessary to protect human health and the environment takes place at the earliest reasonable opportunity after October 22, 1998.
[63 FR 56734, Oct. 22, 1998]