Except as § 265.1 provides otherwise:
(a) Sections 265.111 through 265.115 (which concern closure) apply to the owners and operators of all hazardous waste management facilities; and
(b) Sections 265.116 through 265.120 (which concern post-closure care) apply to the owners and operators of:
(1) All hazardous waste disposal facilities;
(2) Waste piles and surface impoundments for which the owner or operator intends to remove the wastes at closure to the extent that these sections are made applicable to such facilities in § 265.228 or § 265.258;
(3) Tank systems that are required under § 265.197 to meet requirements for landfills; and
(4) Containment buildings that are required under § 265.1102 to meet the requirement for landfills.
(c) Section 265.121 applies to owners and operators of units that are subject to the requirements of 40 CFR 270.1(c)(7) and are regulated under an enforceable document (as defined in 40 CFR 270.1(c)(7)).
(d) The Regional Administrator may replace all or part of the requirements of this subpart (and the unit-specific standards in § 265.111(c)) applying to a regulated unit (as defined in 40 CFR 264.90), with alternative requirements for closure set out in an approved closure or post-closure plan, or in an enforceable document (as defined in 40 CFR 270.1(c)(7)), where the Regional Administrator determines that:
(1) A regulated unit is situated among solid waste management units (or areas of concern), a release has occurred, and both the regulated unit and one or more solid waste management unit(s) (or areas of concern) are likely to have contributed to the release, and