(a) Alaska or a United States territory may petition the Administrator to opt-in to the program requirements of this subpart.
(c) The petition must be signed by the Governor of the state or his authorized representative (or the equivalent official of the territory).
(1) A petition submitted under this section must be received by EPA by November 1 for the state or territory to be included in the RFS program in the next calendar year.
(2) A petition submitted under this section should be sent to the attention of “RFS Program” to the address in § 80.10(a).
(e) Upon approval of the petition by the Administrator:
(1) EPA shall calculate the standards for the following year, including the total gasoline and diesel fuel volume for the state or territory in question.
(2) Beginning on January 1 of the next calendar year, all gasoline and diesel fuel refiners and importers in the state or territory for which a petition has been approved shall be obligated parties as defined in § 80.1406.
(3) Beginning on January 1 of the next calendar year, all renewable fuel producers in the state or territory for which a petition has been approved shall, pursuant to § 80.1426(a)(2), be required to generate RINs and comply with other requirements of this subpart M that are applicable to producers of renewable fuel.