(a) The state must include as part of each attainment plan submitted under this subpart for a PM2.5 nonattainment area specific contingency measures that shall take effect with minimal further action by the state or the EPA following a determination by the Administrator that the area has failed:
(1) To meet any RFP requirement in an attainment plan approved in accordance with § 51.1012;
(2) To meet any quantitative milestone in an attainment plan approved in accordance with § 51.1013;
(3) To submit a quantitative milestone report required under § 51.1013(b); or,
(4) To attain the applicable PM2.5 NAAQS by the applicable attainment date.
(b) The contingency measures adopted as part of a PM2.5 attainment plan shall meet all of the following requirements:
(1) The contingency measures shall consist of control measures that are not otherwise included in the control strategy or that achieve emissions reductions not otherwise relied upon in the control strategy for the area; and,
(2) Each contingency measure shall specify the timeframe within which its requirements become effective following a determination by the Administrator under paragraph (a) of this section.
(c) The attainment plan submission shall contain a description of the specific trigger mechanisms for the contingency measures and specify a schedule for implementation.