If the special circumstances of § 75.219(a) appear to exist for an application, the Secretary uses the following procedures:
(a) The Secretary assembles a board to review the application.
(b) The board consists of:
(1) A program officer of the program under which the applicant wants a grant;
(2) An employee from the Office of the Chief Financial Officer (OCFO) with responsibility for grant policy; and
(3) A Department employee who is not a program officer of the program but who is qualified to evaluate the application.
(c) The board reviews the application to decide if:
(1) The special circumstances under § 75.219(a) are satisfied;
(2) The application rates high enough, based on the selection criteria, priorities, and other requirements that apply to the program, to deserve selection; and
(3) Selection of the application will not have an adverse impact on the budget of the program.
(d) The board forwards the results of its review to the Secretary.
(e) If each of the conditions in paragraph (c) of this section is satisfied, the Secretary may select the application for funding.
(f) Even if the Secretary does not select the application for funding, the applicant may submit its application under the procedures in Subpart C of this part.