(a) Regulated navigation area. All navigable waters of the Hudson River south of the Troy Locks.
(b) Definitions. The following definitions apply to this section:
(1) Designated representative means any Coast Guard commissioned, warrant, or petty officer, or a Federal, State, or local law enforcement officer designated by or assisting the Captain of the Port (COTP) New York.
(2) Horsepower (HP) means the total maximum continuous shaft horsepower of all the vessel's main propulsion machinery.
(c) Applicability. This section applies to tugs with less than 3,000 horsepower when engaged in towing operations.
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (c)(3) of this section, vessels less than 3,000 horsepower while engaged in towing operations are not authorized to transit that portion of the Hudson River south of the Troy Locks when ice thickness on average is eight inches or greater.
(2) All Coast Guard assets enforcing this Regulated Navigation Area can be contacted on VHF marine band radio, channel 13 or 16. The COTP can be contacted at (718) 354-4356, and the public may contact the COTP to suggest changes or improvements in the terms of this Regulated Navigation Area.
(3) All persons desiring to transit through a portion of the regulated area that has operating restrictions in effect must contact the COTP at telephone number (718) 354-4356 or on VHF channel 13 or 16 to seek permission prior to transiting the affected regulated area.
(4) The COTP will notify the public of any changes in the status of this Regulated Navigation Area by Marine Safety Information Broadcast on VHF-FM marine band radio, channel 22A (157.1 MHZ).
[USCG-2010-0794, 76 FR 8656, Feb. 15, 2011]