Hoists and elevators shall be examined daily and such examinations shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
(a) Elevators. A visual examination of the rope for wear, broken wires, and corrosion, especially at excessive strain points such as near the attachments and where the rope rests on sheaves;
(b) Hoists and elevators.
(1) An examination of the rope fastenings for defects;
(2) An examination of safety catches;
(3) An examination of the cages, platforms, elevators, or other devices for loose, missing or defective parts;
(4) An examination of the head sheaves to check for broken flanges, defective bearings, rope alignment, and proper lubrication; and
(5) An observation of the lining and all other equipment and appurtenances installed in the shaft.
[48 FR 53239, Nov. 25, 1983]