(a) Dry chemical fire extinguishing systems used on underground equipment shall be of the multipurpose powder-type and shall include the following:
(1) The system including all hose and nozzles shall be protected against the entrance of moisture, dust, or dirt;
(2) The system shall be guarded against damage during operation of the equipment protected;
(3) Hose and pipe shall be as short as possible; the distance between the chemical container and furthest nozzle shall not exceed 50 feet;
(4) Hose, piping, and fittings between the actuator and the chemical container shall have a bursting pressure of 500 pounds per square inch (gage) or higher; the hose, piping, and fittings between the chemical container and the nozzles shall have a bursting pressure of 300 pounds per square inch (gage) or higher and
(5) The system shall discharge in 1 minute or less, for quantities less than 50 pounds (nominal) and in less than 2 minutes for quantities more than 50 pounds;
(b) On unattended underground equipment, the number of pounds of dry chemical employed by the system shall be not less than 1 pound per square foot of top surface area of the equipment; however, the minimum amount in any system shall be 20 pounds (nominal). The discharge shall be directed into and on potentially hazardous locations of the equipment.
(c) On attended underground equipment, the number of pounds (nominal) employed by the system shall equal 5 times the total number of hazardous locations; however, the minimum amount in any system shall not be less than the following, except that systems on haulage vehicles installed prior to the effective date of this section may contain 20 pounds (nominal).
|Type of equipment||Dry chemical pounds (nominal)|
|(1) Cutting machines||40|
|(2) Continuous miners||40|
|(3) Haulage vehicles||30|
|(4) All other attended equipment||20|
(d) The amount of dry chemical discharged into the cable reel compartments of attended underground equipment shall be approximately 25 percent of the total amount required to be discharged by the system; however, the quantity discharged into cable reel compartments need not exceed 10 pounds.
[37 FR 15302, July 29, 1972]