(a) General rule. Employers using equipment covered by this subpart that meets the definition of “roadway maintenance machine,” as defined in 49 CFR 214.7, must comply with the requirements in this subpart, except as provided in paragraphs (b)(1) through (7) of this section when subject to the authority of the Federal Railroad Administration.
(b) Exceptions -
(1) Operator certification, training, and evaluation. The requirements in §§ 1926.1427 (Operator qualification and certification) and 1926.1430 (Training) do not apply. The qualification and training requirements contained in §§ 1926.1436(q) (Qualification and training for derricks), 1926.1440(a) (Sideboom cranes), and 1926.1441(a) (Equipment with a rated hoisting/lifting capacity of 2,000 pounds or less) do not apply.
(2) Rail clamps, rail stops, and work-area controls.
(i) The requirement for rail clamps in § 1926.1415(a)(6) does not apply;
(ii) The requirement for rail stops in § 1926.1415(a)(6) does not apply; and
(iii) The work-area controls specified by § 1926.1424(a)(2) do not apply.
(3) Out-of-level work. The restrictions on out-of-level work, and the requirements for crane-level indicators and inspections of those indicators (including the requirements in §§ 1926.1402(b), 1926.1412(d)(1)(xi), and 1926.1415(a)(1)), do not apply.
(4) Dragging a load sideways. The prohibition in § 1926.1417(q) on dragging a load sideways does not apply.
(5) Boom-hoist limiting device. The requirement in § 1926.1416(d)(1) for a boom-hoist limiting device does not apply to roadway maintenance machines when the cranes use hydraulic cylinders to raise the booms.
(6) Manufacturer guidance for modifications covered by § 1926.1434. The requirements to follow the manufacturer's guidance set forth in § 1926.1434 do not apply if the employer is subject to the requirements of 49 CFR part 214.
(7) Other manufacturer guidance. The requirements to follow the manufacturer's guidance, instructions, procedures, prohibitions, limitations, or specifications, set forth in § 1926.1404(j), (m), or (q); § 1926.1415(a)(6); § 1926.1417(a), (r), (u), or (aa); § 1926.1433(d)(1)(i); or § 1926.1441 do not apply if the employer is subject to the requirements of 49 CFR part 214.
[85 FR 57122, Sept. 15, 2020]