Site Feedback

Title 24

Displaying title 24, up to date as of 9/16/2021. Title 24 was last amended 9/13/2021.

Title 24

eCFR Content

The Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) is the official legal print publication containing the codification of the general and permanent rules published in the Federal Register by the departments and agencies of the Federal Government. The Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (eCFR) is a continuously updated online version of the CFR. It is not an official legal edition of the CFR.

Learn more about the eCFR, its status, and the editorial process.

§ 42.350 Relocation assistance for displaced persons.

A displaced person may choose to receive either assistance under the URA and implementing regulations at 49 CFR part 24 or assistance under section 104(d) of the HCD Act of 1974, including:

(a) Advisory services. Advisory services at the levels described in 49 CFR part 24. A displaced person must be advised of his or her rights under the Fair Housing Act (42 U.S.C. 3601-19). If the comparable replacement dwelling to be provided to a minority person is located in an area of minority concentration, as defined in the recipient's consolidated plan, if applicable, the minority person must also be given, if possible, referrals to comparable and suitable decent, safe, and sanitary replacement dwellings not located in such areas.

(b) Moving expenses. Payment for moving expenses at the levels described in 49 CFR part 24.

(c) Security deposits and credit checks. The reasonable and necessary cost of any security deposit required to rent the replacement dwelling unit, and for credit checks required to rent or purchase the replacement dwelling unit.

(d) Interim living costs. The recipient shall reimburse a person for actual reasonable out-of-pocket costs incurred in connection with a displacement, including moving expenses and increased housing costs, if:

(1) The person must relocate temporarily because continued occupancy of the dwelling unit constitutes a substantial danger to the health or safety of the person or the public; or

(2) The person is displaced from a “lower-income dwelling unit,” none of the comparable replacement dwelling units to which the person has been referred qualifies as a lower-income dwelling unit, and a suitable lower-income dwelling unit is scheduled to become available in accordance with § 42.375.

(e) Replacement housing assistance. Persons are eligible to receive one of the following two forms of replacement housing assistance:

(1) Each person must be offered rental assistance equal to 60 times the amount necessary to reduce the monthly rent and estimated average monthly cost of utilities for a replacement dwelling (comparable replacement dwelling or decent, safe, and sanitary replacement dwelling to which the person relocates, whichever costs less) to the “Total Tenant Payment,” as determined under part 813 of this title. All or a portion of this assistance may be offered through a certificate or voucher for rental assistance (if available) provided under Section 8. If a Section 8 certificate or voucher is provided to a person, the recipient must provide referrals to comparable replacement dwelling units where the owner is willing to participate in the Section 8 Tenant-Based Assistance Existing Housing Program (see part 982 of this title). When provided, cash assistance will generally be in installments, in accordance with 42 U.S.C. 3537c; or

(2) If the person purchases an interest in a housing cooperative or mutual housing association and occupies a decent, safe, and sanitary dwelling in the cooperative or association, the person may elect to receive a payment equal to the capitalized value of 60 times the amount that is obtained by subtracting the “Total Tenant Payment,” as determined under part 813 of this title, from the monthly rent and estimated average monthly cost of utilities at a comparable replacement dwelling unit. To compute the capitalized value, the installments shall be discounted at the rate of interest paid on passbook savings deposits by a federally insured financial institution conducting business within the recipient's jurisdiction. To the extent necessary to minimize hardship to the household, the recipient shall, subject to appropriate safeguards, issue a payment in advance of the purchase of the interest in the housing cooperative or mutual housing association.