(a) The following persons are authorized to collect controlled substances from ultimate users and other non-registrants for destruction in compliance with this chapter:
(1) Any registrant authorized by the Administration to be a collector pursuant to § 1317.40; and
(2) Federal, State, tribal, or local law enforcement when in the course of official duties and pursuant to § 1317.35.
(b) The following non-registrant persons in lawful possession of a controlled substance in Schedules II, III, IV, or V may transfer that substance to the authorized persons listed in paragraph (a) of this section, and in a manner authorized by this part, for the purpose of disposal:
(1) An ultimate user in lawful possession of a controlled substance;
(2) Any person lawfully entitled to dispose of a decedent's property if that decedent was an ultimate user who died while in lawful possession of a controlled substance; and
(3) A long-term care facility on behalf of an ultimate user who resides or resided at such long-term care facility and is/was in lawful possession of a controlled substance, in accordance with § 1317.80 only.