(a) Reportable events. In addition to the notification required by § 20.2202, each licensee shall submit a written report within 30 days after learning of any of the following occurrences:
(1) Any incident for which notification is required by § 20.2202; or
(2) Doses in excess of any of the following:
(i) The occupational dose limits for adults in § 20.1201; or
(ii) The occupational dose limits for a minor in § 20.1207; or
(iii) The limits for an embryo/fetus of a declared pregnant woman in § 20.1208; or
(iv) The limits for an individual member of the public in § 20.1301; or
(v) Any applicable limit in the license; or
(vi) The ALARA constraints for air emissions established under § 20.1101(d); or
(3) Levels of radiation or concentrations of radioactive material in -
(i) A restricted area in excess of any applicable limit in the license; or
(ii) An unrestricted area in excess of 10 times any applicable limit set forth in this part or in the license (whether or not involving exposure of any individual in excess of the limits in § 20.1301); or
(4) For licensees subject to the provisions of EPA's generally applicable environmental radiation standards in 40 CFR part 190, levels of radiation or releases of radioactive material in excess of those standards, or of license conditions related to those standards.
(b) Contents of reports.
(1) Each report required by paragraph (a) of this section must describe the extent of exposure of individuals to radiation and radioactive material, including, as appropriate:
(i) Estimates of each individual's dose; and
(ii) The levels of radiation and concentrations of radioactive material involved; and
(iii) The cause of the elevated exposures, dose rates, or concentrations; and
(iv) Corrective steps taken or planned to ensure against a recurrence, including the schedule for achieving conformance with applicable limits, ALARA constraints, generally applicable environmental standards, and associated license conditions.
(2) Each report filed pursuant to paragraph (a) of this section must include for each occupationally overexposed individual: the name, Social Security account number, and date of birth. The report must be prepared so that this information is stated in a separate and detachable part of the report and must be clearly labeled “Privacy Act Information: Not for Public Disclosure.”
(c) For holders of an operating license or a combined license for a nuclear power plant, the occurrences included in paragraph (a) of this section must be reported in accordance with the procedures described in §§ 50.73(b), (c), (d), (e), and (g) of this chapter, and must include the information required by paragraph (b) of this section. Occurrences reported in accordance with § 50.73 of this chapter need not be reported by a duplicate report under paragraph (a) of this section.
(d) All licensees, other than those holding an operating license or a combined license for a nuclear power plant, who make reports under paragraph (a) of this section shall submit the report in writing either by mail addressed to the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, ATTN: Document Control Desk, Washington, DC 20555-0001; by hand delivery to the NRC's offices at 11555 Rockville Pike, Rockville, Maryland; or, where practicable, by electronic submission, for example, Electronic Information Exchange, or CD-ROM. Electronic submissions must be made in a manner that enables the NRC to receive, read, authenticate, distribute, and archive the submission, and process and retrieve it a single page at a time. Detailed guidance on making electronic submissions can be obtained by visiting the NRC's Web site at http://www.nrc.gov/site-help/e-submittals.html; by e-mail to MSHD.Resource@nrc.gov; or by writing the Office of the Chief Information Officer, U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Washington, DC 20555-0001. A copy should be sent to the appropriate NRC Regional Office listed in appendix D to this part.
[56 FR 23406, May 21, 1991, as amended at 60 FR 20186, Apr. 25, 1995; 61 FR 65127, Dec. 10, 1996; 68 FR 14308, Mar. 25, 2003; 68 FR 58801, Oct. 10, 2003; 72 FR 49486, Aug. 28, 2007; 74 FR 62680, Dec. 1, 2009; 80 FR 74979, Dec. 1, 2015]