e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

We invite you to try out our new beta eCFR site at https://ecfr.federalregister.gov. We have made big changes to make the eCFR easier to use. Be sure to leave feedback using the Feedback button on the bottom right of each page!

e-CFR data is current as of January 26, 2021

Title 41Subtitle CChapter 102Subchapter BPart 102-34 → Subpart I

Title 41: Public Contracts and Property Management

Subpart I—Motor Vehicle Fueling

§102-34.315   How do we obtain fuel for Government motor vehicles?
§102-34.320   What Government-issued charge cards may I use to purchase fuel and motor vehicle related services?
§102-34.325   What type of fuel do I use in Government motor vehicles?

return arrow Back to Top

§102-34.315   How do we obtain fuel for Government motor vehicles?

You may obtain fuel for Government motor vehicles by using:

(a) A Government-issued charge card;

(b) A Government agency fueling facility; or

(c) Personal funds and obtaining reimbursement from your agency, if permitted by your agency. You must use the method prescribed by GSA Fleet to obtain fuel for vehicles leased from GSA fleet.

return arrow Back to Top

§102-34.320   What Government-issued charge cards may I use to purchase fuel and motor vehicle related services?

(a) You may use a fleet charge card specifically issued for this purpose. These cards are designed to collect motor vehicle data at the time of purchase. Where appropriate, State sales and motor fuel taxes may be deducted from fuel purchases by the fleet charge card services contractor before your agency is billed; otherwise you may need to request reimbursement from each State to which taxes were paid. The GSA contractor issued fleet charge card is the only Government-issued charge card that may be used for GSA Fleet motor vehicles. For further information on acquiring these fleet charge cards and their use, contact the: General Services Administration, ATTN: GSA SmartPay® (QMB), 2200 Crystal Drive, Arlington, VA 22202.

(b) You may use a Government purchase card if you do not have a fleet charge card or if the use of such a Government purchase card is required by your agency mission. However, the Government purchase card does not collect motor vehicle data nor does it deduct State sales and motor fuel taxes.

Note to §102-34.320: OMB Circular A-123, Appendix B, contains additional specific guidance on the management, issuance, and usage of Government charge cards. The Appendix B guidance consolidates and updates current Governmentwide charge card program requirements and guidance issued by the Office of Management and Budget, GSA, Department of the Treasury, and other Federal agencies. Appendix B provides a single document to incorporate changes, new guidance, or amendments to existing guidance, and establishes minimum requirements and suggested best practices for Government charge card programs that may be supplemented by individual agency policy procedures.

return arrow Back to Top

§102-34.325   What type of fuel do I use in Government motor vehicles?

(a) Use the minimum grade (octane rating) of fuel recommended by the motor vehicle manufacturer when fueling Government motor vehicles, unless a higher grade of fuel is all that is available locally.

(b) Use unleaded gasoline in all foreign fleet motor vehicles designed to operate on gasoline unless:

(1) Such use would be in conflict with country-to-country or multi-national logistics agreements; or

(2) Such gasoline is not available locally.

(c) You must use alternative fuels in alternative fuel motor vehicles to the fullest extent possible as directed by regulations issued by the Department of Energy implementing the Energy Policy Act and related Executive Orders.

return arrow Back to Top

Need assistance?