e-CFR banner


e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources


Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

e-CFR data is current as of February 13, 2020

Title 5Chapter ISubchapter BPart 838Subpart A → Subject Group

Title 5: Administrative Personnel
Subpart A—Court Orders Generally

Division of Responsibilities

§838.121   OPM's responsibilities.

OPM is responsible for authorizing payments in accordance with clear, specific and express provisions of court orders acceptable for processing.

§838.122   State courts' responsibilities.

State courts are responsible for—

(a) Providing due process to the employee or retiree;

(b) Issuing clear, specific, and express instructions consistent with the statutory provisions authorizing OPM to provide benefits to former spouses or child abuse creditors and the requirements of this part for awarding such benefits;

(c) Using the terminology defined in this part only when it intends to use the meaning given to that terminology by this part;

(d) Determining when court orders are invalid; and

(e) Settling all disputes between the employee or retiree and the former spouse or child abuse creditor.

[57 FR 33574, July 29, 1992, as amended at 59 FR 66638, Dec. 28, 1994]

§838.123   Claimants' responsibilities.

Claimants are responsible for—

(a) Filing a certified copy of court orders and all other required supporting information with OPM;

(b) Keeping OPM advised of their current mailing addresses;

(c) Notifying OPM of any changes in circumstances that could affect their entitlement to benefits; and

(d) Submitting all disputes with employees or retirees to the appropriate State court for resolution.

§838.124   Employees' and retirees' responsibilities.

Employees and retirees are responsible for—

(a) Raising any objections to the validity of a court order in the appropriate State court; and

(b) Submitting all disputes with former spouses to the appropriate State court for resolution.

Need assistance?