e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

We invite you to try out our new beta eCFR site at https://ecfr.federalregister.gov. We have made big changes to make the eCFR easier to use. Be sure to leave feedback using the Feedback button on the bottom right of each page!

e-CFR data is current as of January 15, 2021

Title 41Subtitle FChapter 301Subchapter BPart 301-10Subpart E → Subject Group

Title 41: Public Contracts and Property Management
Subpart E—Special Conveyances

Rental Automobiles

§301-10.450   What are the policies when authorized to rent a vehicle for official travel?

(a) Your agency must determine that use of a rental vehicle is advantageous to the Government and must specifically authorize such use.

(b) When authorized to use a rental vehicle, you should consider renting a vehicle from a vendor that participates in the Defense Travel Management Office (DTMO) U.S. Government Car Rental Agreement to avail yourself of the Agreement's benefits, including the insurance and damage liability provisions, unless you are OCONUS and no agreement is in place for your TDY location. The advantages of renting a car through the DTMO rental car program are:

(1) Rental car agreements are pre-negotiated;

(2) The agreement includes automatic unlimited mileage and collision damage insurance; and

(3) The rates established by the car rental agreement cannot be exceeded by the vendor.

(c) Travelers must use the least expensive compact car available, unless an exception for another class of vehicle is approved. Agencies should approve these exceptions on a limited basis and must indicate on the travel authorization the reason for the exception. Your agency may authorize the use of other than a compact car if any of the following apply:

(1) When use of other than a compact car is necessary to accommodate a medical disability or other special need.

(i) A disability must be certified annually in a written statement by a competent medical authority. However, if the disability is a lifelong condition, then a one-time certification statement is required. Certification statements must include at a minimum:

(A) A written statement by a competent medical authority stating that special accommodation is necessary;

(B) An approximate duration of the special accommodation; and

(ii) A special need must be certified annually in writing according to your agency's procedures. However, if the special need is a lifelong condition, then a one-time certification statement is required;

(iii) If you are authorized under §301-13.3(a) to have an attendant accompany you, your agency may authorize the use of other than a compact car if deemed necessary by your agency.

(2) When required because of agency mission, consistent with your agency's internal procedures pursuant to §301-70.102(i).

(3) When the cost of other than a compact car is less than or equal to the cost of the least expensive compact car.

(4) When additional room is required to accommodate multiple employees authorized to travel together in the same rental vehicle.

(5) When travelers must carry a large amount of Government material incident to their official business, and a compact rental vehicle does not contain sufficient space.

(6) When necessary for safety reasons, such as during severe weather or having to travel on rough or difficult terrain.

(d) Travelers are not to be reimbursed for purchasing pre-paid refueling options for rental cars. Therefore, travelers should refuel prior to returning the rental vehicle to the drop-off location. However, if it is not possible to refuel completely prior to returning the vehicle because of safety issues or the location of closest fueling station, travelers will be reimbursed for vendor refueling charges.

(e) Travelers will not be reimbursed for fees associated with rental car loyalty points or the transfer of points charged by car companies.

[FTR Amdt. 70, 63 FR 15955, Apr. 1, 1998, as amended by FTR Amdt. 2010-05, 75 FR 63103, Oct. 14, 2010; FTR Amdt. 2015-03, 80 FR 27261, May 13, 2015]

§301-10.451   May I be reimbursed for the cost of collision damage waiver (CDW) or theft insurance?

(a) General rule—no. You will not be reimbursed for CDW or theft insurance for travel within CONUS for the following reasons:

(1) The Government is a self-insurer.

(2) Rental vehicles available under agreement(s) with the Government includes full coverage insurance for damages resulting from an accident while performing official travel.

(3) Any deductible amount paid by you may be reimbursed directly to you or directly to the rental agency if the damage occurred while you were performing official business.

(b) Exception. You will be reimbursed for collision damage waiver or theft insurance when you travel outside CONUS and such insurance is necessary because the rental or leasing agency requirements, foreign statute, or legal procedures could cause extreme difficulty for an employee involved in an accident.

§301-10.452   May I be reimbursed for personal accident insurance?

No. That is a personal expense and is not reimbursable.

§301-10.453   What is my liability for unauthorized use of a rental automobile obtained with Government funds?

You are responsible for any additional cost resulting from the unauthorized use of a commercial rental automobile for other than official travel-related purposes.

Need assistance?