e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

We invite you to try out our new beta eCFR site at https://ecfr.federalregister.gov. We have made big changes to make the eCFR easier to use. Be sure to leave feedback using the Feedback button on the bottom right of each page!

e-CFR data is current as of March 4, 2021

Title 38Chapter IPart 17 → Subject Group

Title 38: Pensions, Bonuses, and Veterans' Relief

Reimbursement to Employees for the Cost of Repairing or Replacing Certain Personal Property Damaged or Destroyed by Patients or Members

§17.116   Adjudication of claims.

Claims comprehended. Claims for reimbursing Department of Veterans Affairs employees for cost of repairing or replacing their personal property damaged or destroyed by patients or members while such employees are engaged in the performance of their official duties will be adjudicated by the Director of the medical center concerned. Such claims will be considered under the following conditions, both of which must have existed and, if either one is lacking, reimbursement or payment for the cost or repair of the damaged article will not be authorized:

(a) The claim must be for an item of personal property normally used by the employee in his or her day to day employment, e.g., eyeglasses, hearing aids, clothing, etc., and,

(b) Such personal property was damaged or destroyed by a patient or domiciliary member while the employee was engaged in the performance of official duties.

Reimbursement or payment as provided in this paragraph will be made in a fair and reasonable amount, taking into consideration the condition and reasonable value of the article at the time it was damaged or destroyed.

[28 FR 5083, May 22, 1963, as amended at 39 FR 1843, Jan. 15, 1974; 49 FR 5616, Feb. 14, 1984. Redesignated and amended at 61 FR 21965, May 13, 1996, and further redesignated at 67 FR 35039, May 17, 2002]

Need assistance?