e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

We invite you to try out our new beta eCFR site at https://ecfr.federalregister.gov. We???ve made big changes to make the eCFR easier to use. Be sure to leave feedback using the Help button on the bottom right of each page!

e-CFR data is current as of August 5, 2020

Title 30Chapter IISubchapter BPart 250Subpart B → Subject Group

Title 30: Mineral Resources
Subpart B—Plans and Information

General Information

§250.200   Definitions.

Acronyms and terms used in this subpart have the following meanings:

(a) Acronyms used frequently in this subpart are listed alphabetically below:

BOEM means Bureau of Ocean Energy Management of the Department of the Interior.

BSEE means Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement of the Department of the Interior.

CID means Conservation Information Document.

CZMA means Coastal Zone Management Act.

DOCD means Development Operations Coordination Document.

DPP means Development and Production Plan.

DWOP means Deepwater Operations Plan.

EIA means Environmental Impact Analysis.

EP means Exploration Plan.

NPDES means National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System.

NTL means Notice to Lessees and Operators.

OCS means Outer Continental Shelf.

(b) Terms used in this subpart are listed alphabetically below:

Amendment means a change you make to an EP, DPP, or DOCD that is pending before BOEM for a decision (see 30 CFR 550.232(d) and 550.267(d)).

Modification means a change required by the Regional Supervisor to an EP, DPP, or DOCD (see 30 CFR 550.233(b)(2) and 550.270(b)(2)) that is pending before BOEM for a decision because the OCS plan is inconsistent with applicable requirements.

New or unusual technology means equipment or procedures that:

(1) Have not been used previously or extensively in a BSEE OCS Region;

(2) Have not been used previously under the anticipated operating conditions; or

(3) Have operating characteristics that are outside the performance parameters established by this part.

Non-conventional production or completion technology includes, but is not limited to, floating production systems, tension leg platforms, spars, floating production, storage, and offloading systems, guyed towers, compliant towers, subsea manifolds, and other subsea production components that rely on a remote site or host facility for utility and well control services.

Offshore vehicle means a vehicle that is capable of being driven on ice.

Resubmitted OCS plan means an EP, DPP, or DOCD that contains changes you make to an OCS plan that BOEM has disapproved (see 30 CFR 550.234(b), 550.272(a), and 550.273(b)).

Revised OCS plan means an EP, DPP, or DOCD that proposes changes to an approved OCS plan, such as those in the location of a well or platform, type of drilling unit, or location of the onshore support base (see 30 CFR 550.283(a)).

Supplemental OCS plan means an EP, DPP, or DOCD that proposes the addition to an approved OCS plan of an activity that requires approval of an application or permit (see 30 CFR 550.283(b)).

§250.201   What plans and information must I submit before I conduct any activities on my lease or unit?

(a) Plans and documents. Before you conduct the activities on your lease or unit listed in the following table, you must submit, and BSEE must approve, the listed plans and documents. Your plans and documents may cover one or more leases or units.

You must submit a(n) .  .  .Before you .  .  .
(1) [Reserved]
(2) [Reserved]
(3) [Reserved]
(4) Deepwater Operations Plan (DWOP),Conduct post-drilling installation activities in any water depth associated with a development project that will involve the use of a non-conventional production or completion technology.
(5) [Reserved]
(6) [Reserved]

(b) Submitting additional information. On a case-by-case basis, the Regional Supervisor may require you to submit additional information if the Regional Supervisor determines that it is necessary to evaluate your proposed plan or document.

(c) Limiting information. The Regional Director may limit the amount of information or analyses that you otherwise must provide in your proposed plan or document under this subpart when:

(1) Sufficient applicable information or analysis is readily available to BSEE;

(2) Other coastal or marine resources are not present or affected;

(3) Other factors such as technological advances affect information needs; or

(4) Information is not necessary or required for a State to determine consistency with their CZMA Plan.

(d) Referencing. In preparing your proposed plan or document, you may reference information and data discussed in other plans or documents you previously submitted or that are otherwise readily available to BSEE.

§§250.202-250.203   [Reserved]

§250.204   How must I protect the rights of the Federal government?

(a) To protect the rights of the Federal government, you must either:

(1) Drill and produce the wells that the Regional Supervisor determines are necessary to protect the Federal government from loss due to production on other leases or units or from adjacent lands under the jurisdiction of other entities (e.g., State and foreign governments); or

(2) Pay a sum that the Regional Supervisor determines as adequate to compensate the Federal government for your failure to drill and produce any well.

(b) Payment under paragraph (a)(2) of this section may constitute production in paying quantities for the purpose of extending the lease term.

(c) You must complete and produce any penetrated hydrocarbon-bearing zone that the Regional Supervisor determines is necessary to conform to sound conservation practices.

§250.205   Are there special requirements if my well affects an adjacent property?

For wells that could intersect or drain an adjacent property, the Regional Supervisor may require special measures to protect the rights of the Federal government and objecting lessees or operators of adjacent leases or units.

Need assistance?