e-CFR banner


e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources


Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

e-CFR data is current as of June 1, 2020

Title 29Subtitle BChapter VSubchapter APart 500Subpart B → Subject Group

Title 29: Labor
Subpart B—Registration of Farm Labor Contractors and Employees of Farm Labor Contractors Engaged in Farm Labor Contracting Activities

Registration Requirements; General

§500.40   Registration in general.

Any person who desires to engage in any activity as a farm labor contractor, as defined in the Act and these regulations, and is not exempt, is required first to obtain a Certificate of Registration authorizing each such activity. Any employee of a registered farm labor contractor who performs farm labor contracting activities solely on behalf of such contractor, and who is not an independent contractor, must obtain a Farm Labor Contractor Employee Certificate of Registration authorizing each such activity. The employee's certificate must show the name of the farm labor contractor for whom the activities are to be performed. The contractor whose name appears on the employee's certificate must hold a valid Certificate of Registration covering the entire period shown on the employee's certificate.

§500.41   Farm labor contractor is responsible for actions of his farm labor contractor employee.

(a) A farm labor contractor is responsible for assuring that every employee who is performing farm labor contracting activities on behalf of such contractor has obtained either a Farm Labor Contractor Employee Certificate of Registration or a Certificate of Registration as an independent farm labor contractor, as required by the Act and these regulations, prior to such employee's engagement in any activity enumerated in section 3(6) of the Act. A farm labor contractor who utilizes the services of another farm labor contractor who is not his employee must also comply with the provisions of §500.71. The farm labor contractor is responsible for any violations of the Act or these regulations committed by his employee, whether or not the employee has registered as required by the Act.

(b) Farm Labor Contractor Employee Certificate of Registration is valid only during the period in which the holder is an employee of the registered farm labor contractor named on the Farm Labor Contractor Employee Certificate. If prior to the expiration of the Employee Certificate, the holder through a change in employment, should become an employee of a different registered farm labor contractor, a replacements Employee Certificate which names the new employer may be obtained by submitting to the regional office that issued the original employee certificate or to any regional office of the Wage and Hour Division, a written statement that includes the date of the change in employment status and the name, the permanent place of residence and certificate registration number of the new employer. Any such change should be reported immediately.

[48 FR 36741, Aug. 12, 1983, as amended at 82 FR 2227, Jan. 9, 2017]

§500.42   Certificate of Registration to be carried and exhibited.

Each registered farm labor contractor and registered farm labor contractor employee shall carry at all times while engaging in farm labor contracting activities, a Certificate of Registration or a Farm Labor Contractor Employee Certificate as appropriate and, upon request, shall exhibit that certificate to representatives of the U.S. Department of Labor and State Employment Service Agencies and to all persons with whom he intends to deal as a farm labor contractor or farm labor contractor employee.

§500.43   Effect of failure to produce certificate.

The facilities and the services authorized by the Wagner-Peyser Act shall be denied to any farm labor contractor upon refusal or failure to produce, when asked, a Certificate of Registration. Services shall be provided upon presentation of a valid Certificate of Registration.

Need assistance?