e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

We invite you to try out our new beta eCFR site at https://ecfr.federalregister.gov. We have made big changes to make the eCFR easier to use. Be sure to leave feedback using the Feedback button on the bottom right of each page!

e-CFR data is current as of January 14, 2021

Title 25Chapter ISubchapter HPart 170Subpart B → Subject Group

Title 25: Indians
Subpart B—Tribal Transportation Program Policy and Eligibility

TTP Safety

§170.127   What are the TTP Safety Funds?

(a) Funds, identified as TTP Safety (TTP-S) funds, are made available for a Tribe's highway safety activities through a TTP set-aside established in 23 U.S.C. 202(e). TTP-S funds are allocated based on identification and analysis of highway safety issues and opportunities on Tribal lands. A TTP-S call for projects will be made annually through a Notice of Funding Opportunity published in the Federal Register.

(b) Tribes may also use their TTP-S funds made available through 23 U.S.C. 202(b) for highway safety activities as well as seek grant and program funding from appropriate State and local agencies and private grant organizations.

(c) A project that uses TTP-S funding or TTP funds made available under 23 U.S.C. 202(b) must be identified on a FHWA-approved TTPTIP before any funds are expended.

§170.128   What activities are eligible for TTP-S funds?

(a) TTP-S funds made available under 23 U.S.C. 202(e) may be used for projects and activities that improve safety in one or more of the following categories:

(1) Safety Plans and Planning activities; and

(2) Other eligible activities as described in 23 U.S.C. 148(a)(4)

(b) Eligible activities for each of the categories listed in paragraph (a) of this section will be included in the annual Notice of Funding Opportunity. An eligibility determination for other proposed activities must be requested from BIA or FHWA under §170.113.

§170.129   How will Tribes receive TTP-S funds?

TTP-S funds made available to Tribes may be included in the Tribe's self-determination contracts, self-governance agreements, program agreements, and other appropriate agreements.

§170.130   How can Tribes obtain non-TTP funds for highway safety projects?

FHWA, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, BIA, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and other Federal agencies may have funding available for Tribes to address safety projects and activities. Please see the respective agency/department Web sites for further information or ask BIA or FHWA for assistance. If funding from these agencies does become available, Tribes may work with BIA or FHWA to include those funds through an ISDEAA contract or agreement, or other appropriate agreement for these projects. If the funding is title 23 funding that is originally made available to a State, the Tribe will need to work with the State to develop an agreement for the funding and work through the process identified in §170.627 of this part.

Need assistance?