e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

We invite you to try out our new beta eCFR site at https://ecfr.federalregister.gov. We have made big changes to make the eCFR easier to use. Be sure to leave feedback using the Help button on the bottom right of each page!

e-CFR data is current as of September 25, 2020

Title 25Chapter ISubchapter HPart 170Subpart B → Subject Group

Title 25: Indians
Subpart B—Tribal Transportation Program Policy and Eligibility

Toll, Ferry, and Airport Facilities

§170.120   How can Tribes use Federal highway funds for toll and ferry facilities?

(a) A Tribe can use Federal-aid highway funds, including TTP funds, to study, design, construct, and operate toll highways, bridges, and tunnels, as well as ferry boats and ferry terminal facilities. The following table shows how a Tribe can initiate construction of these facilities.

To initiate construction of a .  .  .A Tribe must .  .  .
(1) Toll highway, bridge, or tunnel(i) Meet and follow the requirements in 23 U.S.C. 129; and (ii) If TTP funds are used, enter into an Agreement as defined in §170.5.
(2) Ferry boat or ferry terminalMeet and follow the requirements in 23 U.S.C. 129(c).

(b) A Tribe can use TTP funds to fund 100 percent of the conversion or construction of a toll facility.

(c) If a Tribe obtains non-TTP Federal funding for the conversion or construction of a toll facility, the Tribe may use TTP funds to satisfy any matching fund requirements.

§170.121   Where is information about designing and operating a toll facility available?

Information on designing and operating a toll highway, bridge or tunnel is available from the International Bridge, Tunnel and Turnpike Association. The Association publishes a variety of reports, statistics, and analyses. The Web site is located at http://www.ibtta.org. Information is also available from FHWA.

§170.122   When can a Tribe use TTP funds for airport facilities?

(a) A Tribe can use TTP funds for construction of airport and heliport access roads, if the access roads are open to the public.

(b) A Tribe cannot use TTP funds to construct, improve, or maintain airport or heliport facilities.

Need assistance?