e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

We invite you to try out our new beta eCFR site at https://ecfr.federalregister.gov. We have made big changes to make the eCFR easier to use. Be sure to leave feedback using the Feedback button on the bottom right of each page!

e-CFR data is current as of February 25, 2021

Title 7Subtitle BChapter ISubchapter KPart 201 → §201.50

Title 7: Agriculture

§201.50   Weed seed.

Seeds (including bulblets or tubers) of plants shall be considered weed seeds when recognized as weed seeds by the law or rules and regulations of the State into which the seed is offered for transportation or transported; or by the law or rules and regulations of Puerto Rico, Guam, or District of Columbia into which transported, or District of Columbia in which sold; or found by the Secretary of Agriculture to be detrimental to the agricultural interests of the United States, or any part thereof. Damaged weed seeds and immature seedlike structures, as described in §201.51(b), shall be considered inert matter. Weed seeds, as defined above in this section, requiring further separation into weed seed and inert matter components are as follows:

(a) The individual seeds are to be removed from fruiting structures such as pods and heads. The seeds are classified as weed seed and the remaining fruiting structures classified as inert matter.

(b) Wild onion and wild garlic (Allium spp.) bulblets that have any part of the husk remaining and are not damaged at the basal end are considered weed seeds regardless of size. Bulblets that are completely devoid of husk, and are not damaged at the basal end, and are retained by a 113 -inch (1.9 mm) round-hole sieve are considered weed seeds. For wild onion and wild garlic (Allium spp.) bulblets classed as inert matter, refer to §201.51(b)(5).

[46 FR 53636, Oct. 29, 1981, as amended at 59 FR 64498, Dec. 14, 1994; 65 FR 1707, Jan. 11, 2000]

Need assistance?