e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

We invite you to try out our new beta eCFR site at https://ecfr.federalregister.gov. We have made big changes to make the eCFR easier to use. Be sure to leave feedback using the Help button on the bottom right of each page!

e-CFR data is current as of September 24, 2020

Title 49Subtitle BChapter ISubchapter APart 107Subpart G → §107.606

Title 49: Transportation
Subpart G—Registration of Persons Who Offer or Transport Hazardous Materials

§107.606   Exceptions.

(a) The following are excepted from the requirements of this subpart:

(1) An agency of the Federal government.

(2) A State agency.

(3) An agency of a political subdivision of a State.

(4) An Indian tribe.

(5) An employee of any of those entities in paragraphs (a)(1) through (a)(4) of this section with respect to the employee's official duties.

(6) A hazmat employee (including, for purposes of this subpart, the owner-operator of a motor vehicle that transports in commerce hazardous materials, if that vehicle at the time of those activities, is leased to a registered motor carrier under a 30-day or longer lease as prescribed in 49 CFR part 376 or an equivalent contractual agreement).

(7) A person domiciled outside the United States, who offers solely from a location outside the United States, hazardous materials for transportation in commerce, provided that the country of which such a person is a domiciliary does not require persons domiciled in the United States, who solely offer hazardous materials for transportation to the foreign country from places in the United States, to file a registration statement or to pay a registration fee.

(b) Upon making a determination that persons domiciled in the United States, who offer hazardous materials for transportation to a foreign country solely from places in the United States, must file registration statements or pay fees to that foreign country, the U.S. Competent Authority will provide notice of such determination directly to the Competent Authority of that foreign country and by publication in the Federal Register. Persons who offer hazardous materials for transportation to the United States from that foreign country must file a registration statement and pay the required fee no later than 60 days following publication of the determination in the Federal Register.

[Amdt. 107-34, 60 FR 27233, May 23, 1995, as amended at 63 FR 52847, Oct. 1, 1998; 72 FR 24538, May 3, 2007]

Need assistance?