e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

We invite you to try out our new beta eCFR site at https://ecfr.federalregister.gov. We have made big changes to make the eCFR easier to use. Be sure to leave feedback using the Feedback button on the bottom right of each page!

e-CFR data is current as of January 25, 2021

Title 48Chapter 1Subchapter EPart 28Subpart 28.2 → §28.204-1

Title 48: Federal Acquisition Regulations System
Subpart 28.2—Sureties and Other Security for Bonds

28.204-1   United States bonds or notes.

Link to an amendment published at 86 FR 3686, Jan. 14, 2021.

Any person required to furnish a bond to the Government has the option, instead of furnishing a surety or sureties on the bond, of depositing certain United States bonds or notes in an amount equal at their par value to the penal sum of the bond (the Act of February 24, 1919 (31 U.S.C. 9303) and Treasury Department Circular No. 154 dated July 1, 1978 (31 CFR part 225)). In addition, a duly executed power of attorney and agreement authorizing the collection or sale of such United States bonds or notes in the event of default of the principal on the bond shall accompany the deposited bonds or notes. The contracting officer may (a) turn securities over to the finance or other authorized agency official, or (b) deposit them with the Treasurer of the United States, a Federal Reserve Bank (or branch with requisite facilities), or other depository designated for that purpose by the Secretary of the Treasury, under procedures prescribed by the agency concerned and Treasury Department Circular No. 154 (exception: The contracting officer shall deposit all bonds and notes received in the District of Columbia with the Treasurer of the United States).

[48 FR 42286, Sept. 19, 1983. Redesignated and amended at 54 FR 48986, 48989, Nov. 28, 1989]

Need assistance?