e-CFR banner


e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources


Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

e-CFR data is current as of February 13, 2020

Title 46Chapter IVSubchapter BPart 540Subpart A → §540.6

Title 46: Shipping
Subpart A—Proof of Financial Responsibility, Bonding and Certification of Financial Responsibility for Indemnification of Passengers for Nonperformance of Transportation

§540.6   Surety bonds.

(a) Where financial responsibility is not established under §540.5, a surety bond shall be filed on Form FMC-132A. Such surety bond shall be issued by a bonding company authorized to do business in the United States and acceptable to the Commission for indemnification of passengers in the event of nonperformance of water transportation. The requirements of Form FMC-132A, however, may be amended by the Commission in a particular case for good cause. Copies of Form FMC-132A may be obtained from the Commission's Web site at http://www.fmc.gov or from the Bureau of Certification and Licensing.

(b) In the case of a surety bond which is to cover all passenger operations of the applicant subject to these rules, such bond shall be in an amount calculated as in the introductory text of §540.5.

(c) In the case of a surety bond which is to cover an individual voyage, such bond shall be in an amount determined by the Commission to equal the gross passenger revenue for that voyage.

(d) The liability of the surety under the rules of this subpart to any passenger shall not exceed the amount paid by any such passenger, except that, no such bond shall be terminated while a voyage is in progress.

[49 FR 36313, Sept. 14, 1984, as amended at 55 FR 1824, Jan. 19, 1990; 78 FR 13278, Feb. 27, 2013]

Need assistance?