e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

We invite you to try out our new beta eCFR site at https://ecfr.federalregister.gov. We have made big changes to make the eCFR easier to use. Be sure to leave feedback using the Feedback button on the bottom right of each page!

e-CFR data is current as of February 23, 2021

Title 45Subtitle BChapter XXVPart 2552Subpart D → §2552.44

Title 45: Public Welfare
Subpart D—Foster Grandparent Eligibility, Status, Cost Reimbursements and Benefits

§2552.44   What is considered income for determining volunteer eligibility?

(a) For determining eligibility, “income” refers to total cash and in-kind receipts before taxes from all sources including:

(1) Money, wages, and salaries before any deduction;

(2) Receipts from self-employment or from a farm or business after deductions for business or farm expenses;

(3) Social Security, Unemployment or Workers Compensation, strike benefits, training stipends, alimony, and military family allotments, or other regular support from an absent family member or someone not living in the household;

(4) Government employee pensions, private pensions, regular insurance or annuity payments, and 401(k) or other retirement savings plans;

(5) Income from dividends, interest, net rents, royalties, or income from estates and trusts.

(b) For eligibility purposes, income does not refer to the following money receipts:

(1) Any assets drawn down as withdrawals from a bank, sale of property, house or car, tax refunds, gifts, one-time insurance payments or compensation from injury.

(2) Non-cash income, such as the bonus value of food and fuel produced and consumed on farms and the imputed value of rent from owner-occupied farm or non-farm housing.

(3) Regular payments for public assistance including the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).

(4) Social Security Disability or any type of disability payment.

(5) Food or rent received in lieu of wages.

[64 FR 14126, Mar. 24, 1999. Redesignated at 72 FR 48585, Aug. 24, 2007; 83 FR 64651, Dec. 17, 2018]

Need assistance?