e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

We invite you to try out our new beta eCFR site at https://ecfr.federalregister.gov. We have made big changes to make the eCFR easier to use. Be sure to leave feedback using the Feedback button on the bottom right of each page!

e-CFR data is current as of January 19, 2021

Title 43Subtitle BChapter IISubchapter CPart 3836Subpart B → §3836.23

Title 43: Public Lands: Interior
Subpart B—Deferring Assessment Work

§3836.23   How do I petition for deferment of assessment work?

In order to apply for deferment—

(a) You must submit a petition with the BLM State Office that includes:

(1) The names of the claims;

(2) The BLM serial numbers assigned to the claims;

(3) The starting date of the one-year period of the requested deferment; and

(4) A statement that you plan to file a small miner waiver form by September 1st.

(b) If you are submitting the petition because BLM or another party has denied you a right-of-way, you must also describe—

(1) The ownership and nature of the land, including topography, vegetation, surface water, and existing roads, over which you were seeking a right-of-way to reach your claims;

(2) The land over which you are seeking a right-of-way by legal subdivision if the land is surveyed;

(3) Why present use of the right-of-way is denied or prevented;

(4) The steps you have taken to acquire the right to cross the lands; and

(5) Whether any other right-of-way is available and if so, why it is not feasible to use that right-of-way.

(c) If you are submitting the petition because of other legal impediments to your access to the claim, you must describe the legal impediments and submit copies of any documents you have that evidence the legal impediments.

(d) You must record in the local recording office a notice that you are petitioning BLM for a deferment of assessment work.

(e) You must attach a copy of the notice required by paragraph (d) of this section to the petition you submit to BLM.

(f) At least one of the claimants of each of the mining claims for which you request a deferment must sign:

(1) The petition you submit to BLM; and

(2) The original notice you record with the local recording office.

(g) You must pay a processing fee with each petition. (See the table of service charges and fees in §3830.21 of this chapter.)

[68 FR 61077, Oct. 24, 2003, as amended at 70 FR 58879, Oct. 7, 2005]

Need assistance?