e-CFR banner


e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources


Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

e-CFR data is current as of May 26, 2020

Title 42Chapter IVSubchapter CPart 431Subpart N → §431.701

Title 42: Public Health
Subpart N—State Programs for Licensing Nursing Home Administrators

§431.701   Definitions.

Unless otherwise indicated, the following definitions apply for purposes of this subpart:

Agency means the State agency responsible for licensing individual practitioners under the State's healing arts licensing act.

Board means an appointed State board established to carry out a State program for licensing administrators of nursing homes, in a State that does not have a healing arts licensing act or an agency as defined in this section.

Licensed means certified by a State agency or board as meeting all of the requirements for a licensed nursing home administrator specified in this subpart.

Nursing home means any institution, facility, or distinct part of a hospital that is licensed or formally recognized as meeting nursing home standards established under State law, or that is determined under §431.704 to be included under the requirements of this subpart. The term does not include—

(a) A religious nonmedical institution as defined in §440.170(b) of this chapter; or

(b) A distinct part of a hospital, if the hospital meets the definition in §440.10 or §440.140 of this subchapter, and the distinct part is not licensed separately or formally approved as a nursing home by the State even though it is designated or certified as a skilled nursing facility.

Nursing home administrator means any person who is in charge of the general administration of a nursing home whether or not the person—

(a) Has an ownership interest in the home; or

(b) Shares his functions and duties with one or more other persons.

[43 FR 45188, Sept. 29, 1978, as amended at 64 FR 67052, Nov. 30, 1999]

Need assistance?