e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

We invite you to try out our new beta eCFR site at https://ecfr.federalregister.gov. We have made big changes to make the eCFR easier to use. Be sure to leave feedback using the Feedback button on the bottom right of each page!

e-CFR data is current as of January 15, 2021

Title 41Subtitle FChapter 301Subchapter BPart 301-10Subpart D → §301-10.302

Title 41: Public Contracts and Property Management
Subpart D—Privately Owned Vehicle (POV)

§301-10.302   How do I determine distance measurements for my travel?

If you travel byThe distance between your origin and destination is
Privately owned automobile or privately owned motorcycleAs shown in paper or electronic standard highway mileage guides, or the actual miles driven as determined from odometer readings.
Privately owned aircraftAs determined from charts issued by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). You may include in your travel claim with an explanation any additional air mileage resulting from a detour necessary due to adverse weather, mechanical difficulty, or other unusual conditions. If a required deviation is such that airway mileage charts are not adequate to determine distance, you may use the formula of flight time multiplied by cruising speed of the aircraft to determine distance. You must convert nautical miles to statute or regular miles when submitting a claim (1 nautical mile equals 1.15077945 statute miles).

[FTR Amdt. 70, 63 FR 15955, Apr. 1, 1998, as amended by FTR Amdt. 108, 67 FR 57965, Sept. 13, 2002; FTR Amdt. 2005-05, 70 FR 61046, Oct. 20, 2005; FTR Amdt. 2010-04, 75 FR 59095, Sept. 27, 2010]

Need assistance?