e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

We invite you to try out our new beta eCFR site at https://ecfr.federalregister.gov. We have made big changes to make the eCFR easier to use. Be sure to leave feedback using the Feedback button on the bottom right of each page!

e-CFR data is current as of January 19, 2021

Title 41Subtitle FChapter 301Subchapter BPart 301-10Subpart B → §301-10.183

Title 41: Public Contracts and Property Management
Subpart B—Common Carrier Transportation

§301-10.183   What class of ship accommodations must I use?

You must use the lowest first-class accommodations when traveling by ship, except when your agency specifically authorizes/approves your use of other than lowest first-class ship accommodations under paragraphs (a) through (d) of this section.

(a) Lowest first class accommodations are not available on the ship.

(b) When use of other than lowest first-class accommodations is necessary to accommodate a medical disability or other special need.

(1) A disability must be certified annually in a written statement by a competent medical authority. However, if the disability is a lifelong condition, then a one-time certification statement is required. Certification statements must include at a minimum:

(i) A written statement by a competent medical authority stating that special accommodation is necessary;

(ii) An approximate duration of the special accommodation; and

(iii) A recommendation as to the suitable class of transportation accommodations based on the disability.

(2) A special need must be certified annually in writing according to your agency's procedures. However, if the special need is a lifelong condition, then a one-time certification statement is required;

(3) If you are authorized under §301-13.3(a) of this Subchapter to have an attendant accompany you, your agency may also authorize the attendant to use other than lowest first-class class accommodations if you require the attendant's services en route;

(c) When exceptional security circumstances require other than lowest first-class travel. Exceptional security circumstances are determined by your agency and should only be authorized to the minimum other than lowest first-class travel accommodation necessary to meet the agency's mission. These circumstances include, but are not limited to:

(1) The use of lowest first-class accommodations would endanger your life or Government property; or

(2) You are an agent on protective detail and you are accompanying an individual authorized to use other than lowest first-class accommodations; or

(3) You are a courier or control officer accompanying controlled pouches or packages.

(d) When required because of agency mission, consistent with your agency's internal procedures pursuant to §301-70.102(i).

[FTR Amdt. 70, 63 FR 15955, Apr. 1, 1998, as amended by FTR Amdt. 2009-06, 74 FR 55149, Oct. 27, 2009]

Need assistance?