e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

We invite you to try out our new beta eCFR site at https://ecfr.federalregister.gov. We have made big changes to make the eCFR easier to use. Be sure to leave feedback using the Feedback button on the bottom right of each page!

e-CFR data is current as of January 15, 2021

Title 41Subtitle CChapter 102Subchapter BPart 102-34Subpart H → §102-34.305

Title 41: Public Contracts and Property Management
Subpart H—Disposal of Motor Vehicles

§102-34.305   What forms do we use to transfer ownership when selling a motor vehicle?

Use the following forms to transfer ownership:

(a) SF 97, The United States Government Certificate to Obtain Title to a Motor Vehicle, if both of the following apply:

(1) The motor vehicle will be retitled by a State, Commonwealth, territory or possession of the United States or the District of Columbia; and

(2) The purchaser intends to operate the motor vehicle on highways.

Note to §102-34.305(a)(2): Do not use SF 97 if the Government-owned motor vehicle is either not designed or not legal for operation on highways. Examples are construction equipment, farm machinery, and certain military-design motor vehicles and motor vehicles that are damaged beyond repair in crashes and intended to be sold as salvage only. Instead, use an appropriate bill of sale or award document. Examples are Optional Form 16, Sales Slip—Sale of Government Personal Property, and SF 114C, Sale of Government Property-Bid and Award.

(b) SF 97 is optional for foreign fleet motor vehicles because foreign governments may require the use of other forms.

Note to §102-34.305: The original SF 97 is printed on secure paper to identify readily any attempt to alter the form. The form is also pre-numbered to prevent duplicates. State motor vehicle agencies may reject certificates showing erasures or strikeovers.

Need assistance?