e-CFR banner


e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources


Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

e-CFR data is current as of June 2, 2020

Title 38Chapter IPart 3Subpart A → §3.452

Title 38: Pensions, Bonuses, and Veterans' Relief
Subpart A—Pension, Compensation, and Dependency and Indemnity Compensation

§3.452   Situations when benefits may be apportioned.

Veterans benefits may be apportioned:

(a) If the veteran is not residing with his or her spouse or his or her children and a claim for apportionment is filed for or on behalf of the spouse or children.

(b) Pending the appointment of a guardian or other fiduciary.

(c)(1) Where an incompetent veteran without a fiduciary is receiving institutional care by the United States or a political subdivision, his or her benefit may be apportioned for a spouse or child, or, except as provided in paragraph (c)(2), for a dependent parent, unless such benefit is paid to a spouse (“as wife” or “as husband”) for the use of the veteran and his or her dependents.

(2) Where a married veteran is receiving section 306 or improved pension and the amount payable is reduced under §3.551(c) because of hospitalization, an apportionment may be paid to the veteran's spouse as provided in §3.454(b).

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 501(a); 5307; 5503(a))

(d) Where additional compensation is payable on behalf of a parent and the veteran or his or her guardian neglects or refuses to contribute such an amount to the support of the parent the additional compensation will be paid to the parent upon receipt of a claim.

Cross References: Disappearance of veteran. See §3.656. Reduction because of hospitalization. See §3.551. Penal institutions. See §3.666.

[26 FR 7266, Aug. 11, 1961, as amended at 27 FR 6974, July 24, 1962; 40 FR 21724, May 19, 1975; 44 FR 45940, Aug. 6, 1979; 66 FR 48560, Sept. 21, 2001; 68 FR 34542, June 10, 2003; 83 FR 32738, July 13, 2018]

Need assistance?