e-CFR banner


e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources


Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

e-CFR data is current as of June 1, 2020

Title 36Chapter XIISubchapter GPart 1280Subpart B → §1280.48

Title 36: Parks, Forests, and Public Property
Subpart B—What Are the Rules for Filming, Photographing, or Videotaping on NARA Property?

§1280.48   How do I apply to film, photograph, or videotape on NARA property for news purposes?

(a) If you wish to film, photograph, or videotape for news purposes at the National Archives Building (as delineated in §1280.2(a)), the National Archives at College Park, or the Washington National Records Center, you must request permission from the NARA Public Affairs Officer, 700 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW., Washington, DC 20408-0001. See also §1280.42(b) for additional permissions relating to the Washington National Records Center.

(b) If you wish to film, photograph, or videotape for news purposes at a Presidential library or at a regional records services facility, you must contact the director of the library (see 36 CFR 1253.3 for contact information) or regional records services facility (see 36 CFR 1253.6 for contact information) to request permission.

(c) Your request for permission to film, photograph, or videotape for news purposes must contain the following information:

(1) The name of the organization you are working for;

(2) Areas you wish to film, photograph, or videotape;

(3) Documents, if any, you wish to film;

(4) The purpose of the project you are working on;

(5) What you intend to do with the film, photograph, or videotape; and

(6) How long you will need to complete your work on NARA property.

(d) You must request permission at least one week in advance of your desired filming date. If you make a request within a shorter time period, we may not be able to accommodate your request.

(e) OMB control number 3095-0040 has been assigned to the information collection contained in this section.

(f) This section does not apply to you if you have permission to use your own microfilming equipment to film archival records and donated historical materials under the provisions of 36 CFR 1254.90 through 1254.110. You must follow the procedures in 36 CFR part 1254 for permission to film archival records and donated materials for research purposes or for microfilm publications.

[65 FR 34978, June 1, 2000, as amended at 36793, June 30, 2008]

Need assistance?