e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

We invite you to try out our new beta eCFR site at https://ecfr.federalregister.gov. We have made big changes to make the eCFR easier to use. Be sure to leave feedback using the Help button on the bottom right of each page!

e-CFR data is current as of October 23, 2020

Title 36Chapter IIPart 297Subpart A → §297.4

Title 36: Parks, Forests, and Public Property
Subpart A—Water Resources Projects

§297.4   Requirements for Federal agencies.

(a) No license, permit, or other authorization can be issued for a Federally assisted water resources project on any portion of a Wild and Scenic River or Study River nor can appropriations be requested to begin construction of such projects, without prior notice to the Secretary of Agriculture, and a determination in accordance with section 7 of the Act.

(b) As soon as practicable, but no less than 60 days prior to the date of proposed action, the Federal agency shall provide a notice of intent to issue such license, permit, or other authorization to the Chief, Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture, P.O. Box 2417, Washington, DC 20013. The Secretary will, to the extent possible, give expedited consideration to a notice of intent for a project needed to address an emergency situation.

(c) The notice shall include the following information:

(1) Name and location of affected river;

(2) Location of the project;

(3) Nature of the permit or other authorization proposed for issuance;

(4) A description of the proposed activity; and

(5) Any relevant information, such as plans, maps, and environmental studies, assessments, or environmental impact statements.

Need assistance?