e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

We invite you to try out our new beta eCFR site at https://ecfr.federalregister.gov. We have made big changes to make the eCFR easier to use. Be sure to leave feedback using the Help button on the bottom right of each page!

e-CFR data is current as of October 23, 2020

Title 36Chapter IIPart 251Subpart A → §251.9

Title 36: Parks, Forests, and Public Property
Subpart A—Miscellaneous Land Uses

§251.9   Management of Municipal Watersheds.

(a) The Forest Service shall manage National Forest watersheds that supply municipal water under multiple use prescriptions in forest plans (36 CFR part 219). When a municipality desires protective actions or restrictions of use not specified in the forest plan, within agreements, and/or special use authorizations, the municipality must apply to the Forest Service for consideration of these needs.

(b) When deemed appropriate by the Regional Forester, requested restrictions and/or requirements shall be incorporated in the forest plan without written agreements. Written agreements with municipalities to assure protection of water supplies are appropriate when requested by the municipality and deemed necessary by the Regional Forester. A special use authorization may be needed to effect these agreements.

(c) In preparing any municipal watershed agreement for approval by the Regional Forester or issuing special use authorization to protect municipal water supplies, the authorized forest officer shall specify the types of uses, if any, to be restricted; the nature and extent of any restrictions; any special land management protective measures and/or any necessary standards and guidelines needed to protect water quality or quantity; and any resources that are to be provided by the municipality.

(d) A special use authorization (36 CFR 251.54) is required if the municipality is to use the subject lands, restrict public access, or control resource uses within the watershed. Special use authorizations issued pursuant to this section are subject to the same fee waivers, conditions, and procedures applicable to all other special uses as set forth in subpart B of this part.

(e) Any municipal watershed management agreements, special use authorizations, requirements, and/or restrictions shall be consistent with forest plans, or amendments and revisions thereto.

[53 FR 27685, July 22, 1988]

Need assistance?