e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

We invite you to try out our new beta eCFR site at https://ecfr.federalregister.gov. We have made big changes to make the eCFR easier to use. Be sure to leave feedback using the Help button on the bottom right of each page!

e-CFR data is current as of October 23, 2020

Title 36Chapter IIPart 251Subpart D → §251.110

Title 36: Parks, Forests, and Public Property
Subpart D—Access to Non-Federal Lands

§251.110   Scope and application.

(a) The regulations in this subpart set forth the procedures by which landowners may apply for access across National Forest System lands and the terms and conditions that govern any special use or other authorization that is issued by the Forest Service to permit such access.

(b) These regulations apply to access across all National Forest System lands, including Congressionally designated areas, and supplement the regulations in subpart B of this part, and in parts 212 and 293 of this chapter. The regulations of this subpart do not affect rights-of-way established under authority of R.S. 2477 (43 U.S.C. 932); rights-of-way transferred to States under 23 U.S.C. 317; access rights outstanding in third parties at the time the United States acquired the land; or the rights reserved in conveyances to the United States and in other easements granted by an authorized officer of the Forest Service. Except for the aforementioned rights-of-way, currently valid special-use authorizations will become subject to the rules of this subpart upon expiration, termination, reversion, modification, or reauthorization.

(c) Subject to the terms and conditions contained in this part and in parts 212 and 293 of this chapter, as appropriate, landowners shall be authorized such access as the authorized officer deems to be adequate to secure them the reasonable use and enjoyment of their land.

(d) ln those cases where a landowner's ingress or egress across National Forest System lands would require surface disturbance or would require the use of Government-owned roads, trails, or transportation facilities not authorized for general public use, the landowner must apply for and receive a special-use or road-use authorization documenting the occupancy and use authorized on National Forest System lands or facilities and identifying the landowner's rights, privileges, responsibilities, and obligations.

(e) Where ingress and egress will require the use of existing Government-owned roads, trails, or other transportation facilities which are open and available for general public use, use by the landowner shall be in accordance with the provisions of part 212 of this chapter.

(f) The rules of this subpart do not apply to access within conservation system units in Alaska which are subject to title XI of the Alaska National Interest Lands Conservation Act (16 U.S.C. 3101), except for access to inholdings authorized by section 1110(b) of that Act.

(g) Where there is existing access or a right of access to a property over non-National Forest land or over public roads that is adequate or that can be made adequate, there is no obligation to grant additional access through National Forest System lands.

Need assistance?